Friday, May 3, 2013

DIY nail polish from yellow eyeshadow

This morning I realized that my throat pain got so awful I should stay home so finally I have time to try this fun manicure, inspired by nevertoomuchglitter :)


Sometimes I have a stupid habit of buying eyeshadows that I don't use but I love the feeling I get in the store that I'm becoming someone braver if I have the guts to wear, for example, bright yellow on my lids. But then I don't.


So, I decided to get rid of those unused or little used palettes but turning them into nail polishes, where brighter and more colorful is always better :) Here are the key ingredients to it: eyeshadow (Inglot, don't know the code), clear nailpolish (I use Lumene base and top coat polish) and a cupcake liner.


Then I scraped some eyeshadow powder to the liner. Inglot eyeshadows are very very pigmented and this looks very vibrant and pigmented on the lid.


As you can see, the yellow is very bright and almost neon-like in the pan. But when I poured the clear polish in and mixed it (with a toothpick), it turned into a much darker and more orange color:


Hmmm.... I was not happy with the color. But decided to start applying to my nails anyways. Here's how it looks after 1 layer:


Of course the opacity is linked to the powder-polish-ratio, but then on the other hand, too thich paste doesn't apply smoothy on the nails. So I kept layering; here's after the second layer:


Getting more orange. But not in a bad way, even though this is not what I wanted :)

After third layer:

Now it's already very opaque and even. Also very beautifully a half matte finish. But I felt like I need to apply a layer of quick finishing polish so this stays pretty longer so the final look is pretty shiny after all. A mattifying finishing polish is on my shopping list though.


Tada! What do you think? :) I think they look like hard orange candies that have already been licked a little :D

And by the way, the pictures are taken with my new phone: Nokia Lumia 920 which I love. The camera is way better that in my Canon something something I used before. The colors are very true to how they look with my own eyes and it's quick and works freaking well in dim and dark as well as in bright sunlight.

1 comment:

  1. i love the color i have done it with l.a. color eyeshadow and clear polish

    ReplyDelete